Amazon cover image
Image from Amazon.com

Prehistoric and Anglo-Saxon discoveries on the East Kent Chalklands : investigations along the Whitfield-Eastry by-pass 1991-1996 / by Paul Bennett, Keith Parfitt and Jon Rady ... [et al.]

By: Bennett, P. (Paul), 1950-
Contributor(s): Parfitt, Keith | Rady, Jon
Series: Canterbury Archaeologial Trust occasional paper ; no. 9Publisher: [Canterbury] : Canterbury Archaeological Trust Ltd., 2014.Description: xi, 192 p., 27 plates : 101 figures, maps ; 30 cm.ISBN: 9781870545266 (pbk.); 1870545265Subject(s): Excavations (Archaeology) -- England -- Dover | Kent (England) -- AntiquitiesSummary: This latest volume in Canterbury Archaeological Trust's Occasional Paper series describes discoveries along the route of the Whitfield-Eastry by-pass. An extensive programme of fieldwalking and evaluation investigated a number of sites: two sites were subject to full excavation. At Eastling Wood a prehistoric barrow proved to be the focus of burial and ritual from the late Neolithic until the late Iron Age. At Church Whitfield two successive Iron Age farmsteads and an Anglo-Saxon hamlet with at least two hall-houses were situated at the crossing point of two downland trackways - a crossroads that survived until the new road was pushed through in 1995.
Holdings
Item type Home library Collection Shelving location Call number Copy number Status Date due Barcode
Book Book British Museum
Britain Europe and Prehistory Shelves PR 2.1.3/1 B (Browse shelf(Opens below)) 1 Available 10020791

Includes bibliography: p. 181-188 and index.

This latest volume in Canterbury Archaeological Trust's Occasional Paper series describes discoveries along the route of the Whitfield-Eastry by-pass. An extensive programme of fieldwalking and evaluation investigated a number of sites: two sites were subject to full excavation. At Eastling Wood a prehistoric barrow proved to be the focus of burial and ritual from the late Neolithic until the late Iron Age. At Church Whitfield two successive Iron Age farmsteads and an Anglo-Saxon hamlet with at least two hall-houses were situated at the crossing point of two downland trackways - a crossroads that survived until the new road was pushed through in 1995.